Sunday, August 20, 2006

U.S.A. ?


What country do I live in?
Last week I was doing some shopping. I went into Ross Dress for Less looking for some gym clothes. You know the section Ross calls activewear. I could not locate the teal and pink sign I was looking for labeled "activewear". I approached the nearest salesperson who gave me a blank look and began walking away--I followed this gentleman thinking he would be able to lead me in the right direction. He approached another Ross associate and they began speaking to each other in Spanish. After a short converstaion with each other, they looked at me as if I should have understood everything they said and know exactly where to go. Thankfully they were able to point me in the direction of the shinny spandex.
In the same evening...
I was in another store-Big Lots. Well I don't have great expectations of this store either but it happened again--in the same night! I could not communicate with the sales associate because she did not speak English. THIS IS A PROBLEM! After about 5 minutes of trying to describe a snap light in very broken Spanish, I gave up.
What is happening here? Is anyone else concerend here? I am all about diversity but I think we all need to be able to communicate here. Here--in the USA.

1 comments:

Heidi said...

Agreed Ash! Glad you finally have the blog going. Sounds like living in Mexico, wait, I mean LA, is lots of fun!!