Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I'd Rather be in Hawaii

5 days was not nearly long enough. Last week Morris and I decided to take advantage of some free flights and a condo in Waikiki and take a last minute vacation to Hawaii. We booked our tickets on Saturday and by Wednesday we were sun bathing in Oahu. We met up with two of Morris's sisters and their husbands our second day there and had the best vacation.

Our second day on the island we explored the North Shore and the beautiful beaches. The waves were huge and incredible to watch. Morris and Lance got taken out a few times while they were body surfing at Waimea Bay.

On the way home we stopped for lunch in the cutest little surf town called Haleiwa. After lunch we stopped at a local favorite--Matsumotos, for the best Hawaiian shaved ice. This is my kind of treat, shaved ice with ice cream in the bottom--there really is nothing better.
The next day we got up early to hike Diamond Head. The trail takes you through the inside of the extinct volcanic crater. When you reach the top of the crater there is a beautiful view of the island and the Pacific Ocean. Behind us is Waikiki and downtown Honolulu.
Morris decided he would braves the waves again but this time with a boogie board in hand. We spent the afternoon at Lanikai beach. Morris even convinced me to take a turn on the boogie board.
I caught a few waves and then went back to my book on the sand. This is how the ladies spent our time in the sun.
Then it was my BIRTHDAY--the big 26! We celebrated over dinner at Dukes. The restaurant is right on the beach with beautiful views of the sunset. Jason and Lance even arranged for a birthday song and a huge piece of Hula Pie. It was delicious!
We had one rainy day during our vacation so we decided to spend the day visiting Pearl Harbor. There is a very nice, peaceful spirit at the USS Arizona Memorial. It was great to visit and remember this day in American history.

The rain cleared up for a few hours so we took advantage of the rays and spent some time on the beaches of Ko Olina at the JW Marriott. This was my favorite part of the island, it was beautiful and the beaches were very calm and very few people.
Just before we were heading home for the day the rains picked up again and we watched the storm clouds move in. We stopped for a few shots with the waves, Mindy and Lance almost got washed away. Just as we were finishing up our photos a huge wave crashed onto the shore and we all got drenched including the cameras we were all holding.
Mindy and Melanie spent the day at the JW spa while the rest of us hiked through a beautiful rain forest to Moana Falls just a few minutes north of downtown Honolulu.
Our last night in Hawaii we went to dinner at the Kahala Hotel. The grounds of the hotel were beautiful and the dinner was delicious. Before our dinner arrived we took advantage of the photo op. I thought this photo of Melanie and Jason turned out best.
This was just a few hours before getting on the plane. We are smiling but I was very sad to go back to real life so soon.
Thank you Rices and Ponds for letting us tag along on your vacation, we had a wonderful time with you. We will be sure to invite ourselves on your next vacation as well--he he.


13 comments:

melissamay said...

Im glad you guys had a great time. It looked like a fun and WARM little getaway.

The Thomases said...

Hawaii looks so beautiful! I'm glad you guys were able to get away. Happy Birthday BTW!

Heidi said...

That sounds like such a fun time and I love all the pics and imagining the tropical weather. I didn't know that the Ponds were also going. Perfect birthday celebration if you ask me!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashley, It's Deborah Yorgason. I heard a couple months ago, I think from Troy that you were living down here. I just found your blog and found out you're moving. So, my parents are in Hawaii right now, were at the JW, ate at Dukes, got the Hula pie...kinda funny to read the same things. It looks beautiful there...similar weather as LA, just much prettier!

Jamie said...

You got some great pictures. it looks beautiful. i just told bryce we need to go and he said he has no desire to go there again. What a poo, he needs to go with me at least once.

Kim Allen said...

I'm so glad you got to do that at the last minute. Looks like you had a blast. You two are such a cute couple by the way.

Troy, Erin and baby Boston said...

Lucky! It looks like you guys had a great time :) Happy Birthday!

Jacy said...

That looks beauuuuuuuutiful! I'm really jealous now. What a perfect way to spend your b-day!!

Mallory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mallory said...

Man I'm so Jealous!!! Your Pictures look amazing. Next time when you want a tour guide I'm available really I'll sacrifice for you! I'm so glad you and Morris were able to experience Hawaii TOGETHER
(Along with Mel, Jas, Mind and Lance)!

Jessica Davis said...

Wow, you guys stink. That looks so ridiculously beautiful and nice. Glad you had a great time! And happy belated birthday!

Bobbi said...

Fun vacation! We were just there, too, and ate at Duke's, watched the surfers at Haleiwa Beach, and stayed at Ko'Olina at our timeshare. We have had shave ice at Matsumoto's before--it is yummy! You and Morris look great, and it was fun to see the Rice's, too. And I just watched your Ellen clip--you are so cute! Heidi had told me about it.

Michelle said...

I'm so jealous! That trip looked so fun even though it was quick. Matt was there (in Maui) at the same time as you..without me :( I hope you had a wonderful birthday this year..probably can't get any better than that! So that image tanning stuff is sold at Cami's parent's salon in Bountiful..I'm not sure where else, but if you'd like I can get you some and mail it or something. She's been using it and it looks really good! I'm thinking about trying some myself since I can't go in the tanning beds! Love you Ash!