Sunday, October 21, 2007

Pasadena Fun Day

During college football season I have to beg and plead to get Morris out of the house on Saturday--Game Day. For a week I had been talking about "Pasadena Fun Day" so when Saturday came around he would not be surprised that I wanted him to spend the day with me in Pasadena. Every time we went to Pasadena there was never enough time to see any of the great landmarks in this city. I decided the only way to see all of the things we wanted to see was to devote a whole day there and this brings us to Pasadena Fun Day.
Our first stop was Huntington Library. This place is huge, it is over 200 acres of gardens, art museums, and an amazing library that has a copy of the Gutenberg Bible. The weather held out just long enough for us to get through the Japanese garden before it started to sprinkle on us so we were on to our next location.

Lately I have been missing my life as an interior designer and I had heard about a great Arts and Crafts home in Pasadena built for the Gamble Family of Proctor and Gamble. The house was built in 1908 and is in its original condition. The house is now owned by USC and tours are given on the weekends of the interior. I love Arts and Crafts style homes and this one is beautiful. The home as well as all of the furniture was designed by the architects Greene and Greene. I can't wait to design my own arts and crafts home one day. You must go see this house if you live in LA.
Last but not least we ended at the Norton Simon Museum. I now have a new favorite art museum in LA. This is a small museum located on Colorado Blvd. and is so absolutely perfect. I love Degas and the Norton Simon has one of the largest collections of Degas's work. Morris and I both love Impressionist art and this museum has a great collection. The museum store was not my favorite but Morris was with me so I couldn't really do any shopping anyway.
My favorite pieces of the day. Vincent Van Gogh--Mulberry Tree
Edgar Degas--Waiting
I had planned a trip to the Ghirardelli Soda Fountain to put the cherry on top of our wonderful day but I thought I should let Morris catch at least one of his football games so we headed home. I guess we will need a Pasadena Fun Day part II with a second helping of the Norton Simon.

8 comments:

The Thomases said...

I am glad to see that you're back! I agree, the Norton Simon Musuem is a secret gem of LA. What did you think of the sculpture garden and Asian art. Those were my favs, along with Degas.

Heidi said...

I need to come visit you again before you move away, so many cool things to do and see- just like Reno (ha ha psyche!)

melissamay said...

Looks like you have so many fun things to do and see in Cali... I wish I could come visit.

Jacy said...

I LOVE the Huntington Library. I think it's so beautiful there. You'll have to go back and see everything that the rain made you skip. I need to check out the Norton Simon Museum. I've heard good things, but I don't think I've been there, or at least not since I was really little.

Breaching Chaos said...

Dude,
Morris I am so happy for you...considering the number of upsets you didn't want to see that day on college football, at least you got to see the interior decorating of a house from 1910, and art and a non-original copy of a bible and a library and um ...well, it's no secret why you're married and I'm not.

Jessica Davis said...

You're alive!! I've missed you guys. I'm glad I could catch up on what's been going on with you lately. :)

Emily Andrus said...

I'm jealous of all the latest culture you've been absorbing!! I have sadly not been to the Getty, Huntington Library or Museum of Tolerance. I still have 2 years I guess. I do love that Degas painting. Oh, and no celebs at Bones this year.

Michelle said...

How fun! I just love all the fun things you guys do there! Good to see the new posts!