Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Low Country

I don't think a lifetime would have been long enough to enjoy all the charm and history of this wonderful city. Morris and I made a quick trip down to Charleston, SC "The Low Country" this weekend and loved every minute of it.

We visited Middelton Place-one of the many gorgeous plantations in Charleston. The grounds and gardens were beautiful, we were a little to early to enjoy the azaleas but we did get to see the last remains of the camellias.
We were able to stay with our good friends, the Henriods, from UCLA. They were excellent hosts and tour guides.

This is the main house on the plantation, it is pretty amazing, especially the waterfront view of the Ashley River.

Side note: The Ashley River runs along one side of town and the Cooper River on the other (I think) well anyway pretty much everything in town is named Ashley something or other. I think that means I need to move there or at least visit time and time again.
One of my favorite things we did and a must do if you ever visit the city is take a horse drawn carriage ride.
The tour took us through historic downtown Charleston and gives you a little background on the homes and architecture. It really was great.

Another must do when in the south; eat something and everything fried (except for the peanuts, they boil those so they actually end up being more like beans, I was a fan-Morris not so much). So fried lunch is what we did. We had our first taste of Hush Puppies (fried cornmeal dough with jalapenos), actually they were pretty good. Fried baked potatoes, fried shrimp, fried fish, I think they even fried our coke. You get the point, basically a heart attack.
Charleston is a great walking city. We walked all over downtown and saw some other sites that were not included on our tour.

We saw Rainbow Row...
Waterfront Park, Mt. Pleasant Bridge, Fort Sumter (from a distance), The Battery area and shopped in The Market.
Oh lovely beach, how we have missed you.
The Carolina beaches were so pretty and such a welcomed site after a long winter. We walked around Folly beach and drove around dreaming about owning one of the many beautiful beach homes for sale.

We took a walk along the sand to the Morris Lighthouse, I really think we are meant to live here; a river and now a lighthouse just for us.

The whole weekend we were Gator hunting. We had heard rumors of gators in these parts but we didn't see any until Sunday afternoon. As soon as we went outside to get some proof he snuck back into his pond.
He really is there, just between Morris and Joel along the bank of the pond.
P.S. This is right in the Henriods backyard. Yes, this is correct they have gators in the backyard.
Oh and Morris had a little girlfriend the whole weekend. It was pretty cute to see the little crush Clara had on him and how excited she was to be near Morris, I think he secretly loved every minute of it.

Here is the close up of the alligator.
Thank you Henriods for the wonderful weekend, we loved it.

14 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I think your blog is kinda a foodie blog - you always have something about good food you or Morris ate!

betsey said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I've never been to S.C., I'm jealous of all the cool places you are visiting and exploring while you live on the east coast.

I LOVE when little girls get crushes on adults (Clara loving Morris). It makes me so happy.

Heidi said...

Don't worry you will be back when you take me. I had no idea it was so perfect for you guys- all the Ashley and Morris references.

Woolf Family said...

OH how fun I have always wanted to move so SC. It looked like you guys had so much fun.

Lindsay said...

to say i am jealous would be an understatment. I have always wanted to visit the south. see all the old historical sights. sigh...i will just live vicariously through you.

Mindy said...

I love hearing about all the fun little trips you guys take! Way to make the most of where you live. That is a great shot with Morris Lighthouse in the back.

Emily said...

I just found your blog through Kim's! What a fun trip! It really does seem as if you were meant to be there having everything named after you! Fun! Our blog is mikeandemilydeardeuff.blogspot.com

Aly said...

Ahhh. Charleston is one of my favorite cities. I am jealous. You will have to try Savannah next. It is beautiful! We should do a girls trip sometime somewhere fun.

kim said...

Looks like it was a blast! I would be so scared of alligators in my back yard..yikes! The beach looked like a dream come true, let's get a group and go! I'll check the weather. Oh, and good job on your race Sat!!!!

Jen said...

S. C. looks like so much fun. That is great that you guys went there.

Jordan and Chandra Smith said...

It looks like you guys are really taking advantage while being in virginia, you are getting out quit a bit! Ash, I was readying the blog of questions your wrote a little bit back and when I got to the last question I started to cry. I just want you to know I know what you are going through and I love you! If you ever need to talk please know I am here. jcsmith816@yahoo.com

Dr. Joel Henriod said...

Thank you for coming!!! We loved having you and hope to see you soon. What an awesome post. You should win an award for promoting the Low Country!

Dr. Joel Henriod said...

Thank you for coming!!! We loved having you and hope to see you soon. What an awesome post. You should win an award for promoting the Low Country!

sassy sase sightings said...

Ash your are to skinny in your pics! Do you and My BABY brother have anything you want to add to your blog. I MISS YOU. Even if I I'm net a skype master it was good to see you! I love you both.