Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Love for the Bay






Morris and I had a fabulous weekend in San Francisco. We were able to accomplish all of the must do's and many of the maybe do's. We arrived on Friday night checked into our hotel and headed to dinner at The Cheesecake Factory on the terrace. After dinner we walked around town just soaking in the goodness of the city. Saturday morning we woke up early to warm sunshine and a list of things to see. We started off with a walk to Grace Cathedral to see Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise. From there we headed up to see Lombard Street. We rented some bikes after Lombard and biked across the Golden Gate bridge. We spent the afternoon recovering from our ride in Sausalito. We had lunch in a cafe and walked some galleries and shops in Sausalito and then hopped on the ferry to head back to San Fran. We enjoyed some free entertainment provided by the street performers near Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. The evening was topped off with a sundae at Ghiradelli Square and a cherry on top. Sunday we went to Lincoln Park to the Legion of Honor Museum to see "The Thinker" by Rodin as well as many other wonderful pieces. Next stop was the de Young Museum at Golden Gate Park for a quick peek at some highlight pieces and a Sunday stroll and swing dance lesson in the park. Our last Museum for the trip was the SFMOMA, three was all Morris could handle. But since the trip was for my birthday he went along without a complaint. At the SFMOMA we took a tour of pieces by some new young artists and spent lots of time admiring the exhibit on modern furnishing--this was my favorite. We were both exhausted and decided to head back to the hotel for a quick nap, well the nap was not very quick for me. I ended up sleeping for about 3 hours and did not wake up until 11:00 PM. Since we had fallen asleep without dinner we decided to head out about midnight and see what we could find. We ended up at Lori's Diner for shakes, burgers, and fries--the best food to be eating at midnight. We checked out of the hotel on Monday and headed to Chinatown. Chinatown did not really do much for us so we walked a few blocks and moved on. We grabbed lunch and then stopped by a Frank Lloyd Wright building near our hotel I really wanted to see. We spent our last few minutes in the city basking in the sunlight in Union Square. We had such a great time in San Francisco and we can't wait to go back and do it all over again. It is nice to be back but it is always more fun to be on vacation. Hope you have enjoyed the play by play of our weekend.

7 comments:

Jacy said...

I am so jealous! I love San Fran. Your weekend sounds amazing. I wish boards were over for Brian so that I could have my husband back and we could do fun things, too! I'm glad you had such a good time.

The Thomases said...

I love San Fran. Reading about your trip brings back so many fun memories! Sounds like you guys had a great time. Happy Birthday!

Heidi said...

Yeah next time I will be there with you! Looks and sounds like a lot of fun and great weather! I especially like the picture of you guys in front of Lombard Street.

Your nap reminds me of our time in NYC- remember our daily naps? Hilarious, but essential I suppose for avid travelers ;-).

melissamay said...

ASH-
Did I ever tell you that I'm SO jealous of your cali lifestyle? I wish I could have met you there. Things just didn't work out. I'm so glad you and Morris can do fun things together. Someday I'll make it to Cali for our shopping trip.
Happy Birthday!!!

Taylor said...

sounds like a fun trip -- brooke would be very jealous considering that she loves the city so much having grown up in Walnut Creek. Your trip reminded me of many weekends we spent up there as well...Tell Morris I met a kid today named Ryan Walker (?) that said he knew Morris @ BYU. Nice kid.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ashley! The pictures are great! Chandler and I lived in the Bay area for about four months and we didn't take advantage of the city as much as we should have. It really is a fun place to be and I need to plan a trip back there!

betsey said...

I really want to go! What a great weekend treat! Sounds like you and Morris were really busy and did a ton of stuff...that is awesome!