Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Our Dream Home



I drive by this home everyday on my way home from work. It was not until a few months ago that I felt like this was a home I could see myself living in. I have a tendency to change my mind quickly about certain things ok so really about most things. Morris has mentioned several times he would like our future home to be built out of brick. Me being a lover of modern architecture and furnishings would never think I would fall in love with a brick exterior. Brick is the most practical exterior for harsh Utah weather conditions--but lets be honest; when am I practical? I knew if it would be brick the only way to go would be red brick. Morris and I have spent many afternoons on UCLA campus admiring all of the beautiful red orange brick buildings and it was not until many hours admiring that I felt like I could actually be happy with a brick exterior. I drove by this home several times before I felt like I liked it enough to show Morris I actually might be willing to build a home we could both agree on. Last week when we were on our tour of Beverly Hills homes we finally stopped by. He loved it. I was so happy. Since the initial drive by we have had several conversations about all of the features we love about the exterior. We have also tried to come up with a plan to get a tour of the interior, more pictures of the exterior, or best of all a set of blueprints(which of course I would begin red lining immediately). My last hurdle would be how to give up my modern interior, this may be the most challenging for me. I just do not see how to fit modern furnishings in this home. I know it will be many years before Morris and I will build a home-especially one this grand but at least I can continue to dream.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Hello did you know that I love red brick too? You could just use certain elements of modern architecture to make your home the mix of traditional and modern- I don't know as much about design as you but i'm sure it can be done.

I thought you liked the arts and crafts movement? that interior style could work with a brick home...

aSHleY said...

I do like Arts and Crafts exteriors but not so much on the interior. I don't think the exterior and the interior need to be the same style but they need to be able to flow and compliment one another.

Taylor said...

yeah it will be a while till you get into a house like this, especially since Morris for sure won't be able to get into UW Ortho & possibly (since he roots for USC) some nasty rumor may keep him from getting in at all...hmmm, not good to root for USC. :o) Oh, by the way, who won the basketball game last night b/w USC & UCLA? And the last basketball game? And the last football game between the two?...just wondering. :o)

deb said...

I grew up in a red brick home! (Although not quite like that one.)

You can do it!